- I made a large scale 8 ft. x 10 ft. art commission for a local Dallas law firm. That was super fun and rewarding, and came at a perfect time!
- I recently interviewed for a new job. I'm not 100% finished with this process but I am really close to the final lap.
In any case, I wanted to take some time to write about some recent vinyl I've been digging on. I'll discuss why I love these albums and whether the vinyl experience is different from any other format. It usually is, but quality seems to vary depending on the artist.
- Ramones - Ramones (1976) - This album is a ton of fun. It's super straight forward, jangly and simple, and full of energy. Aside from the bass being more prominent and the mix being a bit less muddy than it tends to be in other formats, it's not a lot different from what you've heard before. That being said, if you want a go-to at a party this album is always a reliable one to put on. I am a little disappointed that Joey's voice is a little grainy sounding, but that's kind of how it was from the start. This album does highlight the sheer level of physicality it probably took Marky Ramone to pull off the constant churn and burn of the power chords that made this album so memorable. The band's interest in power pop and jangle pop also lend a sense of fun that's often not present on other Punk albums of the era.
- Queen - Queen II (1974) - Like a lot of Queen albums, this sounds absolutely pristine, and the vinyl format really elevates the music above and beyond. This is probably one of Queen's more nerdy/fantasy-driven albums. However, the music just flows so well from one track to another. This is probably one of Freddie's singing moment's vocally in their catalog. If you are looking for a more personal introspective look at Queen, this probably is not your album, but it's still a gem. I could see the band having a lot of fun making this album though.
- Stone Roses - Second Coming (1994) - Ian Brown and Co.'s second and final album is a really great dive into funk, rock, and psychedelia. It doesn't quite have the mass appeal or pop sensibility of their debut, but that's kind of not the point here. I would say that the vinyl experience is definitely immersive, and worth the listen. It is a bit on the long side, so it's a great album to listen to while doing chores or staying busy. If you want to get lost in the details it's not a bad listen either. It's a shame this band had so many troubles business-wise because they could have had a much longer and more fruitful career. There's always Brown's solo work.
- Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith, Love, and Devotion (1993) - This was my first foray into Depeche Mode's music. It was released on the heels of their most popular album 'Violator'. This album doesn't quite have the pop sensibility of that album, but it shows a ton of growth and musical/lyrical maturity. Apparently, the process of making this album came with a lot of tension and growing pains. The fruits of that struggle are definitely worth hearing. Normally, I don't bother with groups that use electronics on vinyl, because frankly, you don't get much of anything different that wasn't organically sourced from a human being banging on an instrument. Thankfully that is not the case with this album. They dive headfirst into gospel, industrial, and rock on a lot of these songs, and it gives this album a real sense of warmth. There are dark and lush tones throughout the album. This was always a band of really talented musicians, and they decided to let their musicianship shine on this record. That's what really drew me to this album and it makes for a really joyful listen.
- Mono Mono - Give the Beggar a Chance (1971) - When trying to choose between a first entry into the wonderful world of Afrobeat, you usually start with Fela Kuti. I do really enjoy his music quite a lot. However, I wanted to see what else was being produced in this genre. A video from the youtube channel Deep Cuts highlighted this album as essential listening. I got curious and gave this one a listen. Jazz, psychedelic rock, and African folk are a common thread that makes this album stand out from Kuti's more big band inspired songs. That's not to say there isn't a lot in common with the Afrobeat pioneer. This album is a bit more laid back if I am going to pinpoint a difference. Much like the stone roses, this is a great album to keep your mind busy while working or cleaning the house, etc. One thing I noticed is that one half of the record plays at a different speed than the other, so changing disks is a bit disorienting at first. It's an easy fix but can throw you off if you don't know at first. Otherwise, it's a great listen.
No comments:
Post a Comment